Day 10 - BLUE WHALE DAY - Wednesday, 16th February
I knew today was going to be a special day not long after I'd risen and done my early morning ablutions!
I went outside with my coffee to see what I could see. We were passing land and the moon was still above the mountains casting the most gorgeous reflections on the water. And against the mountains, were these surreal white things! I had to ask Tony if he thought they were clouds and he said he thought they were. Then Dan came out and I asked him to confirm they were clouds because they looked so strange in the pre-dawn moonlight. 'Sure are,' he said,' And don't they look amazing?' They did look amazing and I thought it was sad that not everyone would see this because they were still in bed and it would be gone by the time they got up.
Had my breakfast - lovely toast from lovely Gary - and soon enough we arrived at this island called San Jose Island. It had featured in 'Last Chance to See' when Mark and Stephen stopped to look at fossilised whale bones.
The island was stunning to look at. I don't know much about geology, but it looked pretty impressive to me - just the different rock layers and the colours. And, of course, it was a hot and sunny day, so the conditions were just perfect for us.
We were taken over in the skiffs and basically left to explore the island for a while. I went off on my own to explore and took some very interesting pictures - I hope. It was very hot, though, and I was quite glad to get back in the skiff and put my hands in the cooling water. We then were taken for skiff rides along the cliffs to take more photos etc. Brian took us today and was funny and informative at the same time. We kept seeing these bright red crabs which Brian informed us were called Sally Lightfoot Crabs. We thought he was taking the piss at first, but it turned out he wasn't and they are called that. Can't quite work out his sense of humour yet as he's probably the crew member I've had least to do with. I seem to be getting on ok with JP/PJ now as I think he's realised I'm not after his body and about to pounce on him any minute!! Although as he wears those bloomin' shades all the time, I really can't tell whether or not he's giving me funny looks!! Haven't had that much to do with Matt either - he seems fairly quiet - although he probably isn't- that's just the Matt I see. Scottie is lovely. We all love Scottie because he's so friendly and so amiable and very approachable about anything. We're told he's single and I'm sure there are some who'd snap him up - he certainly would make some lucky woman a very good partner I think. Captain Mike continues to be friendly but incredibly cool ( not cool as in off, but cool as in movie-star cool). I'm sure half the women on this boat are in love with him and fantasize about riding off into the sunset with him as he has that air of cool action hero - maybe a touch of the Robert Redfords too? Not me though, I'll keep my fantasies to myself thank you very much!!
Anyway, back to today's story! I should point out at this point that my face has really caught the sun, particularly my nose which is just bright red! So, even if I had thoughts of trying to attract the most gorgeous man, I look completely ridiculous and he would simply laugh at my (by now) ruddy complexion and bright red honker! The thing is, although I have all this suncream, I keep forgetting to apply it because Captain Mike or someone will say 'Whale ahead - 11 o'clock' and I'll run outside and watch in the sunlight all thoughts of suncream forgotten! I do try and remember to do my dodgy arm because if that gets sun burnt I'm in trouble!!
We were given the opportunity to go either snorkeling or spend a couple of hours on this beautiful beach. I chose the beach as it provided the opportunity for a bit of paddling/swimming and beach-combing. I put my cossie on under my shorts and t-shirt and Matt and JP/PJ dropped us off on the island and then anchored off shore. I did dare to go into the water, but felt that the world was not quite ready for the full swimming-costumed body, so I kept my t-shirt on. I'm still extremely self-conscious about my body and even though there were only a few friendly faces there, I still couldn't do it. Besides, I'm also paranoid about getting sun burnt on that arm, so I felt it was better to keep the t-shirt on. It was a very enjoyable couple of hours, though. There were pelicans diving for fish just off the beach and it was breath-taking to watch them. I would have been quite happy to have been left behind there to be honest because it was so idyllic.
Just as lunch was about to be served, Captain Mike came over the loudspeakers to say that a Blue Whale had been spotted ahead. Dan and Gary were not happy as everyone, naturally, rushed outside to try and spot it. 'Don't worry about lunch,' Gary said sarcastically,'You go get your Blue Whale fix' He joked about it, but they weren't happy!
And so, outside, I got my very first sight of my very first Blue Whale! I was so ecstatic! This was why I'd booked the trip and it was right in front of me!! I took a few snaps, but decided then that moving film might be better at capturing this momentous occasion and took some video footage. It really was a sight to see and we were able to watch it for quite a while. My dream had come true! I can go home happy! Well, I would already have gone home happy - but even happier than that!! Now I can show everyone Blue Whales that I have actually seen!! We saw a few more during the afternoon - my God! That makes it sound so normal now! Yeah - I saw a few Blue Whales today! But it is so unbelievably extraordinary! I feel like I'm in a permanent dream-like state! This place is actually doing strange things to my psyche. I'm more openly emotional than I've ever been in my life. I keep hugging people all the time! Those who know me well, know that hugging has been a real problem for me in the past ( all to do with childhood stuff which I won't go into) and it's only recently that I've felt able to hug people and I'm doing it all the time now!! And I'm doing it properly and everything! This place is definitely changing me - maybe I'm having one of those occasions where it really does change your life forever! I believe it's called an Epiphany? I hope so, because I think it can only be a good thing!
Later some Peruvian beaked whales were seen in the distance - which Mark got very excited about - although I didn't see them. A Mako shark was also seen, as was a dwarf sperm whale. I'm afraid I saw none of these - I think my head was still so full of Blue Whales to be honest!! The sunset this evening was particularly spectacular and whilst I was out later in the evening, listening to my music and watching the stars, I saw a shooting star!! It was late, but I looked around hoping that somebody else might have been around and seen it - but there was no one else around. I did make a wish, as you're supposed to - but I'm keeping that one to myself!!
I knew today was going to be a special day not long after I'd risen and done my early morning ablutions!
I went outside with my coffee to see what I could see. We were passing land and the moon was still above the mountains casting the most gorgeous reflections on the water. And against the mountains, were these surreal white things! I had to ask Tony if he thought they were clouds and he said he thought they were. Then Dan came out and I asked him to confirm they were clouds because they looked so strange in the pre-dawn moonlight. 'Sure are,' he said,' And don't they look amazing?' They did look amazing and I thought it was sad that not everyone would see this because they were still in bed and it would be gone by the time they got up.
Had my breakfast - lovely toast from lovely Gary - and soon enough we arrived at this island called San Jose Island. It had featured in 'Last Chance to See' when Mark and Stephen stopped to look at fossilised whale bones.
The island was stunning to look at. I don't know much about geology, but it looked pretty impressive to me - just the different rock layers and the colours. And, of course, it was a hot and sunny day, so the conditions were just perfect for us.
We were taken over in the skiffs and basically left to explore the island for a while. I went off on my own to explore and took some very interesting pictures - I hope. It was very hot, though, and I was quite glad to get back in the skiff and put my hands in the cooling water. We then were taken for skiff rides along the cliffs to take more photos etc. Brian took us today and was funny and informative at the same time. We kept seeing these bright red crabs which Brian informed us were called Sally Lightfoot Crabs. We thought he was taking the piss at first, but it turned out he wasn't and they are called that. Can't quite work out his sense of humour yet as he's probably the crew member I've had least to do with. I seem to be getting on ok with JP/PJ now as I think he's realised I'm not after his body and about to pounce on him any minute!! Although as he wears those bloomin' shades all the time, I really can't tell whether or not he's giving me funny looks!! Haven't had that much to do with Matt either - he seems fairly quiet - although he probably isn't- that's just the Matt I see. Scottie is lovely. We all love Scottie because he's so friendly and so amiable and very approachable about anything. We're told he's single and I'm sure there are some who'd snap him up - he certainly would make some lucky woman a very good partner I think. Captain Mike continues to be friendly but incredibly cool ( not cool as in off, but cool as in movie-star cool). I'm sure half the women on this boat are in love with him and fantasize about riding off into the sunset with him as he has that air of cool action hero - maybe a touch of the Robert Redfords too? Not me though, I'll keep my fantasies to myself thank you very much!!
Anyway, back to today's story! I should point out at this point that my face has really caught the sun, particularly my nose which is just bright red! So, even if I had thoughts of trying to attract the most gorgeous man, I look completely ridiculous and he would simply laugh at my (by now) ruddy complexion and bright red honker! The thing is, although I have all this suncream, I keep forgetting to apply it because Captain Mike or someone will say 'Whale ahead - 11 o'clock' and I'll run outside and watch in the sunlight all thoughts of suncream forgotten! I do try and remember to do my dodgy arm because if that gets sun burnt I'm in trouble!!
We were given the opportunity to go either snorkeling or spend a couple of hours on this beautiful beach. I chose the beach as it provided the opportunity for a bit of paddling/swimming and beach-combing. I put my cossie on under my shorts and t-shirt and Matt and JP/PJ dropped us off on the island and then anchored off shore. I did dare to go into the water, but felt that the world was not quite ready for the full swimming-costumed body, so I kept my t-shirt on. I'm still extremely self-conscious about my body and even though there were only a few friendly faces there, I still couldn't do it. Besides, I'm also paranoid about getting sun burnt on that arm, so I felt it was better to keep the t-shirt on. It was a very enjoyable couple of hours, though. There were pelicans diving for fish just off the beach and it was breath-taking to watch them. I would have been quite happy to have been left behind there to be honest because it was so idyllic.
Just as lunch was about to be served, Captain Mike came over the loudspeakers to say that a Blue Whale had been spotted ahead. Dan and Gary were not happy as everyone, naturally, rushed outside to try and spot it. 'Don't worry about lunch,' Gary said sarcastically,'You go get your Blue Whale fix' He joked about it, but they weren't happy!
And so, outside, I got my very first sight of my very first Blue Whale! I was so ecstatic! This was why I'd booked the trip and it was right in front of me!! I took a few snaps, but decided then that moving film might be better at capturing this momentous occasion and took some video footage. It really was a sight to see and we were able to watch it for quite a while. My dream had come true! I can go home happy! Well, I would already have gone home happy - but even happier than that!! Now I can show everyone Blue Whales that I have actually seen!! We saw a few more during the afternoon - my God! That makes it sound so normal now! Yeah - I saw a few Blue Whales today! But it is so unbelievably extraordinary! I feel like I'm in a permanent dream-like state! This place is actually doing strange things to my psyche. I'm more openly emotional than I've ever been in my life. I keep hugging people all the time! Those who know me well, know that hugging has been a real problem for me in the past ( all to do with childhood stuff which I won't go into) and it's only recently that I've felt able to hug people and I'm doing it all the time now!! And I'm doing it properly and everything! This place is definitely changing me - maybe I'm having one of those occasions where it really does change your life forever! I believe it's called an Epiphany? I hope so, because I think it can only be a good thing!
Later some Peruvian beaked whales were seen in the distance - which Mark got very excited about - although I didn't see them. A Mako shark was also seen, as was a dwarf sperm whale. I'm afraid I saw none of these - I think my head was still so full of Blue Whales to be honest!! The sunset this evening was particularly spectacular and whilst I was out later in the evening, listening to my music and watching the stars, I saw a shooting star!! It was late, but I looked around hoping that somebody else might have been around and seen it - but there was no one else around. I did make a wish, as you're supposed to - but I'm keeping that one to myself!!
I love your writing Debs its straight from the heart. The blue whale day was amazing wasn't it and I well remember the first time I saw them on my last trip we had two together by the boat (The Searcher) and everyone was full of emotion including me. I had waited a long time to see one. As a child I had a poster on my bedroom wall of these great whales and I never thought that I would ever see one in real life and here I was looking at two blue whales!
ReplyDeleteWe saw more blue whales on our trip and I had more time to study them and I learned so much from Mark about them which I didn't know before. Our trip was very special and I'm glad its changed your life it did mine the first time around too which is why I told everyone in the beginning that hardly a day went by when I didn't think about Baja and now the flame of passionate love for the place has been rekindled in me. I will go again and I'm sure you will too. Use your experience to do good but I guess you do that anyway. Iv'e given lots of talks to people on ships and back home about my whale watching experiences and when I talk about blue whales I feel the spray from the blow on my face, I hear the huge intake of breath as they inhale, I see that great long muscular body of bone and muscle once more descend into the depths and that awesome blue colour from where the whale derives its name. Keep dreaming Debs 'may the force be with you'!