Thursday, 10 March 2011

Our first Island
















At Sea - Day 5. Friday, 11th February 2011

Today was another very eventful day - I already feel like I've been here a lifetime! Not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing at the moment!!
Today is the anniversary of Dad's death so I was thinking of him a lot today. I know he would have loved going on a trip like this. He just loved being out doors and visiting new places and new people - such a shame he never got the chance!
Today, we were at sea for much of the time. I got up a bit earlier this morning as I didn't sleep very well, so it was a but easier getting showered etc. However, I did feel quite queasy again this morning and, consequently, spent a lot of time outside. I did almost throw up, but after that incident felt absolutely fine and, as I write this, I'm feeling perfectly well.
One thing I have noticed today is that there are a lot of serious photographers with serious equipment on this boat - makes me feel rather inadequate, although I like to think it's not all about how big your lenses are etc!!
But the group seem really nice (I keep using that word don't I?), though I've yet to talk to everyone properly!
Anyway, today we stopped at some islands - our first Island stop. We were taken by skiffs to the island to look at and photograph Northern Elephant Seals. Just to explain - skiffs are the little boats which the boat has on board that can carry about six of us at a time to go and see things! It was a little hairy getting off from the boat into the skiffs, but we were ably man-handled by the crew so that we didn't fall over and make fools of ourselves!! I saw the other crew member today - his name is Brian - and apparently he's the second in command. He's a big bear of a man, but I can't say much about him yet other than that!
We were taken to the island where there was this tiny little fishing village populated (funnily enough) by a few fishermen! We set off to the Seal rookeries and Mark explained a few things to us about Elephant Seals - especially what to do if one charges at you. Apparently, you just run away in the opposite direction - which i think was pretty good advice!! However, we were able to get pretty close without disturbing them and take some good pics! I went off to explore on my own. It was getting quite hot, so I found a little shady spot to eat my packed lunch ( which we had all been provided with) and do a bit of reflection. It was good to go for a walk and stretch my legs properly. It was very wild and barren and very peaceful apart from the odd bark of the seals and the squawks of sea birds. I tried to take some dramatic pictures of waves crashing onto rocks, but I don't think they came out very well - I mean they look like they could have been taken just outside Bournemouth. They are a bit too non-specific! But it was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours and I really enjoyed it! Some people then went snorkling - but I chose to be a wimp and took one of the offered skiff rides to take more pictures of seals - including Guadalupe Fur Seals. Our 'driver' was JD/PJ/JP/DJ who offered us good information on what we were looking at, although he does continue to eye me suspiciously - at least I think he does - it's difficult to know behind those shades!!
We were boarded by the Mexican Navy today and had to show them our passports etc. Maybe they thought we were smuggling drugs, or pirates or something!
I must just mention that the food continues to get better and better. My expectations for the veggie meals have been surpassed already. Dan is really imaginative in what he makes for us veggies and I expect my waistline to expand because the portion sizes are HUGE. I can't eat it all and have to keep apologising for leaving food. But it's really good. And good puddings too!! And there are snacks available to munch all the time and loads of fresh fruit. I'm grateful for the fruit as I've a tendency to snack and have generally chosen fruit if I feel the need to do this!
We had another lecture from Mark after dinner which was very informative again. Tomorrow we head to the San Ignacio Lagoon where we will (hopefully) encounter the Grey Whales - one thing I've really been looking forward to!!
Later on in the evening, I went out the back of the ship and listened to my iPod for a bit whilst looking at the wonderful stars. Although it's a long day, I just can't go to bed as early as most people because I'm a night-bird and I know I won't be able to sleep! So, thank God I brought my music!! It helps me calm my brain down after all the days' activities!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment