Wednesday, 9 March 2011

San Diego, Day 3











Wednesday, 9th February 2011

Woke up with knots in my stomach feeling very nervous and excited about what the day would bring! I had a shower and I thought - 'Enjoy this, Deb, because it might be the last luxury you have for a while' I think I was right - but I'll explain later!!
I went down to the breakfast room, but I still didn't feel that hungry, so I got myself a Danish Pastry and a coffee. As a few people came in, I introduced myself to them and a few of us got chatting which was nice. They all seemed like lovely people ( which I knew they would be really). We had to go over to Mitch's Seafood Restaurant at 09.30 to meet with Mark and Rachel and the rest of the party. I walked over with a couple of the couples I had met in the breakfast room. It was a glorious day, weather-wise, and already seemed really hot. I'm starting to worry about whether I'll cope in the heat. What if my arm swells up? I'll just have to watch it, that's all. It's strange hearing all these American accents around and about. I know it's America, but it's still strange at the moment!
Anyway, we went over to Mitch's where we were having a Welcome Brunch. I met Mark Carwardine!! He sat with us whilst we had our brunch ( I still wasn't that hungry, so only had some fruit and a pastry and loads of coffee again!) He seems ever so nice and very laid back. He was working the room very well indeed. We also met Rachel, the other Expedition Leader who, it turns out, is also my cabin-mate! I'm glad I'm sharing with her because she seems very relaxed and easy going and will hopefully be able to put up with all my burping, snoring and farting during the night! Actually, our minute cabin is right by the ship's engine which is pretty loud, so I think it'll hide a multitude of sins!!
Mark and Rachel gave us a run-down of what will be happening over the next 12 days and then we were left to spend the rest of the day at our leisure meeting at the hotel at 6pm to go to the boat!!
I hooked up with one of the other couples - Shirley and Alan - and we walked over to this huge store that sold everything you could possibly want for your sailing trip - including waterproof camera bags etc. Just about all our lot were there buying stuff for the trip. I just bought this bright pink t-shirt with fish on it because I liked it!!
After a brief pause back at the hotel, I went into San Diego with Shirley and Alan and another couple called Doug and Jenny. We had a look around the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego and then took the tram to the Old Town. This was a little like a theme park, but free and was actually very interesting. All too soon we had to make our way back to the hotel. Part of me was a bit disappointed because I would like to have seen a bit more of San Diego. Still, I reckon I got a small slice of American Pie. If I ever do this again, I'll arrange to stay a couple of days in San Diego before hand to have a really good look around and acclimatise - although I don't feel too tired at the moment. I think I'm still too excited, actually!!
We went back to the hotel and Rachel and Mark led us to our boat which was moored in the Marina. We had been told earlier that we would not be able to use the loos on the boat until we were under way ( which wasn't going to be until about 10pm) so of course I wanted to go to the loo straight away!! It was ok, though, because we could pop out to use the loos outside Mitch's if we wanted to! Just outside, there were a few feral cats which I tried to make friends with, but they were having none of it!
We had a buffet supper on the boat and met our Captain who's called Mike. He seems very cool. He gave us a very brief health and safety talk, then disappeared again!! The food, by the way, seems great. The buffet was very comprehensive - although there wasn't much for veggies apart from salad, eggs and cheese. But I still wasn't that hungry - and was also anticipating sea-sickness - so didn't have that much.
I must mention the cabins! They really are tiny. Only just big enough for very narrow bunks ( good job I lost all that weight) and very limited storage space! I see now why Rachel told us to bring not-very large cases and make sure they were flexible! It'll be interesting to see how I cope in that confined space!
We have 4 loos between us all and 3 showers. I suspect that competition for these will be intense, so I may need to devise a strategy for this!
But, generally, the boat seems fine. Haven't really had a chance to explore properly yet, but I'm sure that will come over the coming days.
We left San Diego at about 10pm ish and had been told by Rachel and Mark that there was a good photo opportunity on our way out of the harbour. Local fishermen store their fish above which are these platforms where various birds and seals hang out, hoping to catch some stray fish. It was all lit-up so there were possibilities to take some interesting photos. I tried, but I don't think mine will come out very well due to the low-light.
I got to meet most of my fellow passengers one way or another, but I can't remember any names yet, so cannot make any comments! Will write more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment