Day 4 - Thursday, 10th February 2011
Oh my God! We had to get up sooo early this morning! Rachel had warned us yesterday evening that one of the cooks would shout everyone awake at some un-Godly hour if they weren't already up and that you'd miss a cooked breakfast if you weren't up by a certain time. That was about 6am or something ridiculous!! Haven't they heard of jet-lag?? I think I mumbled something to Rachel about missing breakfast and she reassured me that they're a bit lenient on the first couple of days while everyone adjusts to the routine. I made my way upstairs and had a shower and felt a bit more human again. I only had a bowl of cereal and a coffee for my breakfast as I was already feeling slightly queasy from the swell of the boat during the night. Although we were moored at the Mexican border, the feeling was still there. As soon as I'd eaten, I made my way outside as I knew I'd feel better in the fresh air. It was a beautiful morning and there was little wind, so I knew our journey at sea today wouldn't be too bad. We left the harbour in the early morning and I took a few photos etc. There were quite a few of us outside, including Mark, when I spotted what I thought was a whale, surfacing in the water not far from the boat. I should explain, that Mark and Rachel had told us yesterday to point out anything we saw that might be of interest as, although the Captain and Crew were always on the look out, they might miss something - so always to say if we think we see something, just in case. Well, I thought I saw something, so I shouted out excitedly, 'Look- there's a whale!' Mark Carwardine, eminent Zoologist, followed my gaze and said, 'No, it's a patch of Seaweed' and walked away in disgust!! How stupid did I feel? Am going to keep my mouth shut in future before I become the laughing stock of this boat! (Actually, my friends would expect nothing less!)
Anyway, today was a chance to meet more of my fellow voyagers and some of the crew.
There are, I think, at least 4 other people who are on their own (3 women and a man) and all the rest seem to be either friends or couples. Still don't really know any names yet except for Doug and Jenny and Shirley and Alan - but I've told everyone I'm rubbish at remembering names it it will probably take me the entire length of the trip to possibly remember them all!
I think Rachel said there are 7 crew, but I haven't met them all yet. There are the two cooks - Dan and Gary (I think) and Gary looks like a cross between Bill Oddie and my Uncle George in Germany. He has laughing eyes! Then there's Captain Mike who we met yesterday and whom I've only seen briefly popping in and out to the loo etc. Then a crew member called JP (or was it PJ or JD??) introduced himself to me. The first thing he told me (apart from his name which, simple though it is, I'm already having trouble with!) is that he had a girlfriend back home! I must have looked like I was lusting after him or something! God, I hope I wasn't looking like that because I really wasn't lusting after him! I mean, he's not bad looking in a very cool Californian way, but not my type at all ( not that I have a type really) and besides, I'm not on this trip for lusting after hunky crew members. I'm here for very different reasons! (I must remember to repeat that mantra if it becomes necessary later on!!) I also met JD/JP/JD/PJ's buddy called Matt (I think) who was very cute but far too young for me anyway and another crew member called Scott who has this mane of hair and reminded me a bit of Dennis Hopper in Easy Rider - but he seems very sweet and quick to offer help and advice. There is, apparently, another one but I haven't met him yet.
We were sailing today, but already have seen loads of things including, Harbour Seals and Elephant Seals, loads and loads (possibly thousands, Mark told us) of Dolphins - Common, Rissos and White-Sided (I'm learning so much already!!) and a Fin Whale! My first Fin Whale! The second largest whale on the planet! It was ever so exciting and has already made this holiday well worth while! Even if we don't see Blue Whales, I can say that I've seen the second largest whale which is pretty impressive in itself!!
After dinner, we had our first lecture from Mark. No, he wasn't telling us off - it was a proper lecture - just like being back at University, only more relaxed and without all the difficult assignments!! This will be happening each evening after dinner to tell us all about where we're going and what we'll be seeing etc. Very informative I must say! Tonight we watched the Blue Whale episode of 'Last Chance to See' and got a bit of goss on Stephen Fry!! It was interesting to hear some behind the scenes stuff, but I'm sure Mark writes about some of it in the book as I recall. So, we know what's happening tomorrow - we've been shown where we expect to go tomorrow, although, apparently it's quite fluid because we might spot a huge number of Blue Whales or something and have to stop and watch them longer than expected. I think that's just wishful thinking!
I did feel quite sea-sick today, despite taking the tablets, but I suppose that's all part and parcel of finding your sea-legs. I don't think sleeping in that stuffy cabin helps, although it's very comfortable and I did manage to sleep last night despite the engine noise (even with ear plugs!) I'm sure it's just an evolving process and I'll be a proper good sailor in a few days!! I'm still loving it despite the queasiness. The sky at night is amazing! I've never seen stars like it and the moon too! It's so clear! If I could, I'd take pictures of it, but I know that without a tripod etc, it'll just come out black which won't be very interesting at all!! I'll just have to write poetic lines and hope the image comes across! And don't get me started on the sunset! That was amazing too! This is already mind-blowing! Let's just hope it keeps getting better and better!!
Oh my God! We had to get up sooo early this morning! Rachel had warned us yesterday evening that one of the cooks would shout everyone awake at some un-Godly hour if they weren't already up and that you'd miss a cooked breakfast if you weren't up by a certain time. That was about 6am or something ridiculous!! Haven't they heard of jet-lag?? I think I mumbled something to Rachel about missing breakfast and she reassured me that they're a bit lenient on the first couple of days while everyone adjusts to the routine. I made my way upstairs and had a shower and felt a bit more human again. I only had a bowl of cereal and a coffee for my breakfast as I was already feeling slightly queasy from the swell of the boat during the night. Although we were moored at the Mexican border, the feeling was still there. As soon as I'd eaten, I made my way outside as I knew I'd feel better in the fresh air. It was a beautiful morning and there was little wind, so I knew our journey at sea today wouldn't be too bad. We left the harbour in the early morning and I took a few photos etc. There were quite a few of us outside, including Mark, when I spotted what I thought was a whale, surfacing in the water not far from the boat. I should explain, that Mark and Rachel had told us yesterday to point out anything we saw that might be of interest as, although the Captain and Crew were always on the look out, they might miss something - so always to say if we think we see something, just in case. Well, I thought I saw something, so I shouted out excitedly, 'Look- there's a whale!' Mark Carwardine, eminent Zoologist, followed my gaze and said, 'No, it's a patch of Seaweed' and walked away in disgust!! How stupid did I feel? Am going to keep my mouth shut in future before I become the laughing stock of this boat! (Actually, my friends would expect nothing less!)
Anyway, today was a chance to meet more of my fellow voyagers and some of the crew.
There are, I think, at least 4 other people who are on their own (3 women and a man) and all the rest seem to be either friends or couples. Still don't really know any names yet except for Doug and Jenny and Shirley and Alan - but I've told everyone I'm rubbish at remembering names it it will probably take me the entire length of the trip to possibly remember them all!
I think Rachel said there are 7 crew, but I haven't met them all yet. There are the two cooks - Dan and Gary (I think) and Gary looks like a cross between Bill Oddie and my Uncle George in Germany. He has laughing eyes! Then there's Captain Mike who we met yesterday and whom I've only seen briefly popping in and out to the loo etc. Then a crew member called JP (or was it PJ or JD??) introduced himself to me. The first thing he told me (apart from his name which, simple though it is, I'm already having trouble with!) is that he had a girlfriend back home! I must have looked like I was lusting after him or something! God, I hope I wasn't looking like that because I really wasn't lusting after him! I mean, he's not bad looking in a very cool Californian way, but not my type at all ( not that I have a type really) and besides, I'm not on this trip for lusting after hunky crew members. I'm here for very different reasons! (I must remember to repeat that mantra if it becomes necessary later on!!) I also met JD/JP/JD/PJ's buddy called Matt (I think) who was very cute but far too young for me anyway and another crew member called Scott who has this mane of hair and reminded me a bit of Dennis Hopper in Easy Rider - but he seems very sweet and quick to offer help and advice. There is, apparently, another one but I haven't met him yet.
We were sailing today, but already have seen loads of things including, Harbour Seals and Elephant Seals, loads and loads (possibly thousands, Mark told us) of Dolphins - Common, Rissos and White-Sided (I'm learning so much already!!) and a Fin Whale! My first Fin Whale! The second largest whale on the planet! It was ever so exciting and has already made this holiday well worth while! Even if we don't see Blue Whales, I can say that I've seen the second largest whale which is pretty impressive in itself!!
After dinner, we had our first lecture from Mark. No, he wasn't telling us off - it was a proper lecture - just like being back at University, only more relaxed and without all the difficult assignments!! This will be happening each evening after dinner to tell us all about where we're going and what we'll be seeing etc. Very informative I must say! Tonight we watched the Blue Whale episode of 'Last Chance to See' and got a bit of goss on Stephen Fry!! It was interesting to hear some behind the scenes stuff, but I'm sure Mark writes about some of it in the book as I recall. So, we know what's happening tomorrow - we've been shown where we expect to go tomorrow, although, apparently it's quite fluid because we might spot a huge number of Blue Whales or something and have to stop and watch them longer than expected. I think that's just wishful thinking!
I did feel quite sea-sick today, despite taking the tablets, but I suppose that's all part and parcel of finding your sea-legs. I don't think sleeping in that stuffy cabin helps, although it's very comfortable and I did manage to sleep last night despite the engine noise (even with ear plugs!) I'm sure it's just an evolving process and I'll be a proper good sailor in a few days!! I'm still loving it despite the queasiness. The sky at night is amazing! I've never seen stars like it and the moon too! It's so clear! If I could, I'd take pictures of it, but I know that without a tripod etc, it'll just come out black which won't be very interesting at all!! I'll just have to write poetic lines and hope the image comes across! And don't get me started on the sunset! That was amazing too! This is already mind-blowing! Let's just hope it keeps getting better and better!!
No comments:
Post a Comment